Thursday, December 07, 2006

"At the end of the day, they gave us $40 million for a puppet movie."

Reason Magazine - South Park Libertarians: "People ask, “So how is it working for a big multinational conglomeration?” I’m like, “It’s pretty good, you know? We can say whatever we want. It’s not bad. I mean, there are worse things.” It doesn’t mean that we don’t have battles like we did this year, where you get really frustrated with the fact that Mission Impossible:3’s bigger than South Park and they can shut you down, but at the end of the day you’ve got to look at the balance sheet."
In all seriousness, read it all. Parker is even a Boulder Buddhist like me. Home town boys make good.

On Hollywood liberals:

Stone: Yeah, I think they just think it’s cool. I think a lot of them really believe in what they’re doing. It’s not like it’s some kind of conspiracy. There’s something about people who become actors that they also become liberals. That being said, in Team America, we said exactly what we wanted to say and in South Park, we say exactly what we want to say. No one tells us what to say, so we may have differing political viewpoints, but they just want to make money, you know? And there’s something kind of beautiful about that.
On the "libertarian" impulse:
Stone: I had Birkenstocks in high school. I was that guy. And I was sure that those people on the other side of the political spectrum were trying to control my life. And then I went to Boulder and got rid of my Birkenstocks immediately, because everyone else had them and I realized that these people over here want to control my life too. I guess that defines my political philosophy. If anybody’s telling me what I should do, then you’ve got to really convince me that it’s worth doing.

No comments: